Championing and advocating for disability: No disability, just this-ability

 By Nosipho Mnyandu


The Higher Education Disability Services Association (HEDSA) in collaboration with our Polokwane Campus hosted an inspiring Disability Awareness Programme, aimed at celebrating the talents, resilience, and contributions of people living with disabilities. Taking place on August 22, and working together with the Higher Education and Training, University Capacity Development Programme (UCDP), Standard Bank, and Casual Day. 


TUT Polokwane champions of the campus
Image by: Nosipho Mnyandu



This programme reminded students that inclusion is not just about accessibility, it is about creating opportunities, breaking barriers, and embracing diversity in every space. Speaking on behalf of HEDSA was the Limpopo Regional Chairperson, Chamana Nethononda who addressed HEDSA’s role in capacitating universities to support students with disabilities, further explaining that having a disability does not mean one is incapable. 


Mosa Sefoka, a student of TUT was given the platform to speak about his leg-amputation impairment. In his statement, he said “I was impaired from the age of 3 years when I got into an accident with my father. While I will never know what it feels like to have two normal feet, I will forever be grateful for the support I have around me. I walk around freely and confidently, I was given a chance to live and explore. I do not consider myself one with a disability, I am more than capable of doing anything and everything.”

Mosa Sefoka
Image by: Nosipho Mnyandu



As an activity to explore some impairments, three students were given the task to be blindfolded and some sit on a wheelchair. This activity aimed at giving students a glimpse of what it feels like to be living with an impairment. As a reflection, they shared that during their experience, they learnt how difficult it is to be impaired and therefore understand the complexities, giving them the chance to be grateful for their abilities and the abilities of those living with disabilities. 


Stakeholders who joined the Disability Wellness Program
Image by: Nosipho Mnyandu




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TUT Polokwane champions inspire learners from Tzaneen on an exhilarating Career Expo

Prof Tinyiko Maluleke launches his new book Faces and Phases of Resilience: A Memoir of a Special Kind in Polokwane

Polokwane Campus Extends a Warm Welcome to the 2026 First Year Cohort