Celebrating women’s month by combating GBV and advocating for change

 By: Nosipho Mnyandu

As it is still the month of women, the Tshwane University of Technology (TUT) Polokwane campus knows no limits to showing love to their female students.

 

On Friday, August 15th, the Polokwane campus was honoured to be visited by Salome Mabaso, the Limpopo Provincial Coordinator of the Southern African Association of Youth Clubs (SAAYC), who delivered a powerful speech on ways to combat Gender Based Violence (GBV) and how women can lead change, and additionally how she was able to stand up for herself against people who felt intimidated around her. “I used to have a very slender figure growing up. I was always a happy child- overly energized. This would annoy people around me a lot, but I never stopped being myself. I never cowered nor did I let their opinions get to me. I knew they could not take away who I was from me,” she explained.

 

She further stated how this should be a reminder to every young girl to never dim their light for no one, never feel pressured or left out in things that feel unnatural to one’s true self.

 

Adding on to the exhilarating session, the TUT Polokwane choir blessed the audience with their melodic voices, and Khethelo Mafuleka from the Directorate of Extracurricular Development (DED) came in with a poem that captivated the hearts of many of the guests.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TUT Polokwane champions inspire learners from Tzaneen on an exhilarating Career Expo

Prof Tinyiko Maluleke launches his new book Faces and Phases of Resilience: A Memoir of a Special Kind in Polokwane

Polokwane Campus Extends a Warm Welcome to the 2026 First Year Cohort